Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Merchant Talk

Last night I had a chance to really talk to longtime Caledon resident and former steward, Mr Gerami Fizz. We have shared a shop in Steelhead for quite some time now, but we've never had a chance to formally chat beyond exchanging pleasantries while out and about.

I always enjoy talking to other shopkeepers and creators. We were both in Antiquity Shouls looking at shop space and discussed retailing inworld and new creations, and he showed me a new sword he has been working on. I don't know if folks realize how much work actually goes into shops. These are by no means complaints, as I love what I do, but I think most merchants I know will say the same thing: they love creating, but the retailing part is a lot. First, you must create the piece, but then it is a matter of photographing it, boxing it, loading the vendor, and placing it in your shop space or aethernet shop.

Not to mention that your groups become eaten up by land permission groups. A good deal of my 25 groups are merchant-related. I have always felt that land owners should have a land rez permission list similar to that of the add and ban list so that they may add/remove names as necessary. And if you have multiple shops, such as Mr Fizz and I do, there is also a matter of general maintenance. Somewhere that I can just leave my vendor and--even better--not need a land group is even better! Those who know me know that I perform shopkeeping duties on Mondays. I am always prompt when customers have questions, but on Mondays I check rents and vendors, box and photograph items, and deal with general store concerns. And yes, that is my new little storefront behind me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, here! I quite agree about the rez rights list for land. Matter of fact, some time ago, I put up a Jira entry for just such a thing. Of course, it needs votes: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MISC-902